Birmingham Real Estate - Find Your Perfect Home For Sale!

Birmingham - Town vs. County Stats

Birmingham - Town vs. County Stats

Avg Price in Birmingham: $922,700 / County Avg $469,700

98%

Avg Taxes in Birmingham: $10,300 / County Avg $5,200

100%

Avg Sq. Ft. in Birmingham: 2,571 / County Avg 2,352

55%

Avg Price per/ft2 in Birmingham: $359 / County Avg $200

180%

Avg Walkscore in Birmingham: 65 / County Avg 30

108%

Avg Year Built in Birmingham: 1974 / County Avg 1977

50%

Avg Days on Website in Birmingham: 91 / County Avg 74

61%

Birmingham Real Estate Market Health

New Listings
Reductions
Foreclosures
Short Sales
Birmingham is a city in Oakland County of the U.S. state of Michigan and a suburb of Detroit. As of the 2010 census, the population was 20,103.

The area comprising what is now the city of Birmingham was part of land ceded by Native American tribes to the United States government by the 1807 Treaty of Detroit. However, settlement was delayed first by the War of 1812 and subsequently by an unfavorable report by the Surveyor-General of the United States, Edward Tiffin, regarding the placement of Military Bounty Lands for veterans of the War of 1812. Tiffin's report claimed that "There would not be an acre out of a hundred, if there would be one out of a thousand that would, in any case, admit cultivation." In 1818, Territorial Governor Lewis Cass led a group of men along the Indian Trail. The governor's party discovered that the swamp was not as extensive as Tiffin had supposed. Not long after Cass issued a more encouraging report about the land, interest quickened in its suitability for settlement.
The earliest land entry was made on January 28, 1819, by Colonel Benjamin Kendrick Pierce (brother of future U.S. President Franklin Pierce) for the northwest quarter of section 36. Colonel Pierce visited his land several times, but never settled on it. In March 1818, John W. Hunter and his brother Daniel left Auburn, New York, by sleigh and traveled to Michigan by way of Upper Canada. They waited in Detroit for their father and other family members who arrived by schooner over Lake Erie in July. The family remained in Detroit until spring 1819 when John W. made an entry for the northeast quarter of section 36, now in the southeast section of current-day Birmingham. Lacking a proper land survey, John W. mistakenly built his log house on a tract later purchased by Elijah Willets. That house was later occupied by William Hall, a son-in-law of Elisha Hunter, while John W. Hunter built another log house a short distance to the southeast. On September 25, 1821, Elijah Willets made a land entry for the southwest quarter of section 25. Two days later, Major John Hamilton made an entry for the southeast quarter of section 25. Each of these initial land entries met at what is now the intersection of Maple Road and Pierce Street.
For a time, all three men, John W. Hunter, Major Hamilton, and Elijah Willets, operated hotels and taverns from their houses within a short distance from each other. While Hunter did not continue for very long, Hamilton and Willets continued a rivalry for many years, competing with each other for business from travelers on Woodward Avenue between Detroit and Pontiac. The growing settlement was known variously as "Hamilton's", "Hunter's", or "Willets'"; it was later known as "Piety Hill". The settlement's original plat was surveyed and recorded on August 25, 1836, in the northwest quarter of section 36 then owned by Rosewell T. Merrill who also ran the town foundry and the thrashing machine factory. Merrill named his plat "Birmingham" after Birmingham, England, in the hope that the new settlement would similarly become a great industrial center. Elijah Willets recorded a plat on his property on December 20, 1837. John W. Hunter followed suit with two plats on his property on January 31, 1840, and June 21, 1842, while Major Hamilton laid out a plat on October 7, 1846. Several other properties were subsequently platted as additions. The plats made in 1836 and 1837 were in anticipation of completion of the Detroit and Pontiac Railroad.
Now known as "Birmingham", the village first received mail through the "Bloomfield" post office. Birmingham established its own post office on April 5, 1838. The settlement incorporated as a village in 1864, comprising the northern half of section 36 and the southern half of section 25 with a total land area of one square mile. The first village elections were held March 1, 1864, and it was soon governed by a seven-man board of trustees who appointed a marshal and a treasurer. Birmingham re-incorporated as a city in 1933. Prior to this the area just north of 14 Mile along Woodward was known as 'Eco City.
The names of the city's founders are seen throughout Birmingham in places such as Pierce Elementary School, Hunter House Hamburgers (which was located on the road formerly known as Hunter Boulevard, which bypassed downtown to the east and was renamed Woodward, with the original Woodward Avenue section renamed Old Woodward), the Hamilton Hotel, the Willets Building and Merrill Street. Hall & Hunter Realtors named themselves in tribute to the builder and occupier of Birmingham's first home.
Areas in Birmingham MI
Balance Of Oakland County
Birmingham
Neighborhoods in Birmingham MI
A E PETERS SUB
ADAMS VILLAGE SUB
ALLENDALE GARDENS
ANN STREET CONDO OCCPN 400
ASSRS PLAT NO 1 - BIRMINGHAM
ASSRS PLAT NO 12 - BIRMINGHAM
ASSRS PLAT NO 14 - BIRMINGHAM
ASSRS PLAT NO 20 - BIRMINGHAM
ASSRS PLAT NO 27 - BIRMINGHAM
ASSRS PLAT NO 29 - BIRMINGHAM
ASSRS PLAT NO 30 - BIRMINGHAM
ASSRS PLAT NO 4 - BIRMINGHAM
ASSRS REP OF CORYELL PARK
ASSRS REPLAT OF CORYELL PARK
ASSRS REPLAT OF PLAT TORREYS ADD
ASSRS REPLAT PLAT VALENTINE ADD
BALDWIN COURT SUB- BIRMINGHAM
BIRD & STANLEY ADD
Birmingham Corners Occpn 846
BIRMINGHAM CRESTVIEW SUB
BIRMINGHAM ESTATES - BIRMINGHAM
BIRMINGHAM ESTATES NO 1 - BIRMINGHAM
BIRMINGHAM FOREST HILLS
BIRMINGHAM GARDENS
BIRMINGHAM NORTH CONDO
BIRMINGHAM PARK ALLOTMENT
BIRMINGHAM PLACE OCCPN 1605
BIRMINGHAM SQUARE CONDO
BIRMINGHAM VILLAGE CONDO OCCPN 1771
BIRMINGHAM WOODS CONDO
BIRMINGHAM-LINCOLN LOTS SUB
BIRMINGHAM-VILLAS
BLOOMFIELD WOODS
BROOKSIDE CONDO
BUCKINGHAM VLG OF BIRMINGHAM CONDO OCCPN 1150
BUTLER HEIGHTS TOWNHOMES OCCPN 1996
CAMPBELLS SUB
CASPAR J LINGEMANS QUARTON ROAD UNIT
CASTLE ADD
CHAMBERLAIN SUB
CINDERILLA PATCH LANDMARK TWNHS OCCPN 958
CITYSIDE TOWNHOUSES OCCPN 675
CONCORD SQUARE OCCPN 275
DAKOTA ON BOOTH PARK OCCPN 1279
East Maple Gardens
ETON HILL TOWNHOUSES OCCPN 3
ETON STREET STATION I CONDO
Eton Street Station II Condo
F L SHATTUCKS LINCOLNSIDE SUB
GLENN WOOD TERRACE CONDO OCCPN 877
GOLF VIEW HEIGHTS
GRAEFIELD NO 1
GREENWOOD SUB
HARROWGATE
HICKORY HILL CONDO
HIGHLAND VIEW ADD NO 1
HIGHLAND VIEW ADD NO 2
HIGHLAND VIEW ADD NO 3
HIGHLAND VIEW ADD NO 4
LEINBACH-HUMPHREYS IND VLG
Leinbach-Humphreys Woodward
LEINBACH-HUMPHREYS WOODWARD AVE SUB
MERRILLS PLAT
MEYERING LAND COS BIRMINGHAM HIGHLANDS
MEYERING LAND COS BIRMINGHAM HIGHLANDS SUB NO 1
NORTH OLD WOODWARD CONDO OCCPN 1828
NORTHLAWN HEIGHTS
OAK GROVE ADD
OAKLAND VILLAS ANNEX
PAMELA PLACE CONDO
PEMBROOK MANOR SUB - BIRMINGHAM
PIETY HILL CONDO
PLEASANT AVENUE SUB
PLEASANT VIEW SUB -BLOOMFIELD TWP
POPPLETON PLACE CONDO
QUARTON LAKE ESTATES
QUARTON LAKE ESTATES SUB
QUARTON LAKE ESTATES-REPLAT
REPLAT OF BIRMINGHAM FOREST HILLS
RESUB OF BIRMINGHAM-LINCOLN
RESUB OF BRIGHT LAWN SUB
ROSEMOUNT SUB
SCHLAACK BROS ADD
SHEFFIELD ESTATES
SHEFFIELD ESTATES NO 1
SMITH ADD - BIRMINGHAM
SNOW SUB
SNOW SUB NO 1
STANLEY & CLIZBE SUB
SUNNY CREST SUB
TALIAFERRO ESTATES
THE HEIGHTS
THE MANORS OF BIRMINGHAM OCCPN 381
THE WILLITS OCCPN 1292
TORREYS ADD
TOWNSEND PLACE PROPERTIES OCCPN 989
VALENTINE ADD
VICTORIA PLACE OCCPN 816
VINEWOOD COURT OCCPN 1159
WATERFALL LANE
WILLIAMSBURG OF BIRMINGHAM OCCPN 307
WM DUFF SUB
WOODWARD BROWN CONDO OCCPN 2178
WOODWARD PLACE CONDO